Datahandling for students
Linking to Google Earth
Did you realise you can easily embed live geospatial links within your Viewpoint files that work dynamically with Google Earth?
All you need is a single copy of Viewpoint to create the file.
Below, you can find a copy of the updated Ancient civilisations datafile, which has been modified to include live Google Earth links within it. This file can be edited easily and will show you how easy it is to create a similar one from scratch.
First, you need to download Google Earth from here and install it on you computer:
How do I do something similar myself?
- Create a Viewpoint file which has a field created with the 'file question' field
- Locate your point of interest using Google Earth
- Save the location as a .kmz file
- Drop the .kmz file onto your file question field on your Viewpoint form
- Repeat this process for each record as required
- Save the Viewpoint file
This can now be used with Viewpoint. Click on the file question field and Google Earth will load and zoom in to the saved location!
Download the Updated Ancient Civilisations file here (as a zip file).