Become a Musical School with Notate 2!
Demonstrating its commitment to producing imaginative ICT for schools, Logotron has launched Notate 2. This substantial development, supporting the non music specialist, will provide a real support for the government initiative: ‘Every Primary School To Become A Musical School’.
Notate 2 is a music composition program created to inspire and engage KS1-3 pupils in bringing their musical ideas to life, without having to perform them. The software is designed to support both musical beginners and musically able pupils equally well. It provides an intuitive user interface to enable exploration of traditional music notation and the investigation of musical patterns and structures.
Notate 2 – What’s new about it?
- Lyrics. Words can now easily be added to music tracks in the form of lyrics.
- Multiple instrument percussion grid tracks. A new type of track is now available which is best suited to multiple percussion instruments, e.g. when creating drum kit type parts. This now uses a grid rather than traditional stave layout.
- Music export. The music can be saved as a picture in JPEG format to allow export as a graphic to other programs, e.g. Microsoft PowerPoint or Word.
- Multiple chords in a bar. Chords are no longer restricted to one per bar and can be placed above any note or beat in the bar.
Notate 2 – What’s great about it?
- It provides a way for pupils to ‘try out’ musical ideas without having to be able to perform them.
- Users can drag & drop notes while listening to the pitches and melodic patterns being created.
- Users can explore a different range of timbres than is possible with traditional instruments.
- Notate has a range of features specifically to support use on an interactive whiteboard.
- Notate is supplied with photocopy-friendly pupil activity sheets, over 200 example & template files, as well as an extensive teaching guide.
- A companion website is available here and offers extra resources.
An Extended School Licence is also available enabling you to give your pupils home access to the software at minimal cost, click here.